Monday, May 31, 2010

Entry 3: Week 2 at Bilkent

Hello all,
Things are just moving along here. The professor I will be doing research for arrived last week and I have been helping her with inputting grades since it is the end of the semester here. I will start research this week or something. I am also doing some work for the dean and for other staff. This week I will help out with admissions for the business graduate programs. So, since I am doing work for a few different people, I am definitely staying busy. I am enjoying the work that I am doing because I am learning a little bit about everything within higher education, which is providing me with a different perspective on the field overall. I am looking forward to my work this week to learn more about the admissions process and to start research.

Besides that, I am pretty comfortable with transportation and getting around, but I need to work on speaking the language. There are Turkish classes that start next week and I would like to go to them because it is hard for me to order food and say basic stuff, and I would like to be able to communicate better with others who do not speak any English. I also would like to make some friends but it is hard because I work alone in my own office and the students are done with school (plus my work does not involve them).

But, this past weekend, I went to Istanbul and met up with some UM friends that were studying abroad in Europe as well as some Turkish UM alum. We had a great time. Istanbul is a beautiful city with tons to do, but it takes a long time to get anywhere so we spent alot of the weekend just trying to get to where we wanted to go.

That's about it for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment